After doing internships across companies, countries, and departments, I’ve learned a lot about getting the most out of your internship. So here are some tips!
My Golden Rules of Being a GOOD Intern:
- Always carry at least THREE PENS. One for yourself, one for your boss, and one for a client. (you should have a notebook for yourself)
- Learn people’s NAMES. When you enter a company, people will give you instructions such as, “Give this to Betty, and make photocopies for Jenna.” When you’re introduced, make an effort to remember names.
- ASK questions. It’s much better than not knowing. And if you don’t ask and do it wrong, it becomes your fault.
- Always keep BUSINESS CARDS. Not only during the internship, but for future job opportunities with partnership clients and corporations. And you already have an insider contact number!
- Do your RESEARCH on the field, company, and their products. You will fit in much better if you understand the company’s core values and past products. Furthermore, if you know what field you want, you can target specific people and projects to work on. Make sure you know what you want to learn before you start.
- Be INTERESTING and share your BACKGROUND. People like people, not resumes and not interns. So get to know employees on a personal level, outside pure work. It MAKES all the difference.